This is a different type of Mother's Day for me. One without a mother. My first without a mother. My mother's birthday was May 1 and we usually combined celebrations.
A few years ago we had a big blowout (family only) at my house for my mother' 80th birthday. She seemed to enjoy it...but was probably inwardly having a fit....she never wanted anyone to know how old she was. hehe It was a great celebration, and had a new twist.....we also celebrated my granddaughter's birthday which is May 5. Gigi thought it was a big deal that their birthdays were so close.
Here's a pic of Gigi and Aubree curling their hair. (Click on the picture to enlarge)Whooooooaaah! Did you hear that???? That was my mom rolling in her grave because I am putting this picture on the internet.
I have tried to keep my mind off of the fact that she is gone and have done reasonably well as I am not usually one to dwell on the negative...but I do have to admit it is lurking there in the back of my mind and I have found myself missing her more than usual.
Enter that good ol sweetie pie that I married almost 35 years ago. We were sitting on the porch this afternoon and he looked at me and said, "You know what I want to do tomorrow? I want to go see our mothers". I know I took in a sharp breath as I realized he was suggesting a trip to the cemeteries. Bless his heart, he knew what I was feeling and I hadn't said a word.
So, it is supposed to be sunny tomorrow... and we will drive about 2 1/2 hours through the valley and up the mountain, and up the ridge to where Mom and Dad are resting, up at Mingo in Randolph County, WV. Then we take a little switch in the road home to go to where his parents are...Buckhannon, WV.
I want to take an opportunity to remember fondly my mother-in-law, whom I cherished and loved. She was a bundle of fun and I miss her very much as well. She was a very special lady.
My own children have honored me already. Chris brought me flowers, candy and cards on Friday. The one from the girls their talented Momma helped them make with their artwork and signed with their handprints. Corey and Cole are going to host both of her parents and Rick and me with a combined Mother's/Father's Day dinner at a later date. Yum, Yum, Cole is a very good cook and I like when she feeds me!
As I think about it, my sons and daughters-in-law....my four kids, honor me all year through, by living as a family that puts God in a high place in their lives, by raising their kids to have a love for God, good manners and respect for others, and a great love for one another. These are all things that I have tried to teach my boys through the years, so I feel honored that they have chosen to continue these practices on their own. I am truly blessed.
For those of you outside the beautiful hills of West Virginia, please know that Mother's Day was founded here in Grafton, West Virginia. It was begun by Anna Jarvisand the service was held at this church in Grafton, WV, about 15 miles south of where we live.
Add to this trivia on Mother's Day by reading the history of the celebration here
http://www.mothersdayshrine.com/history.php
Enjoy the day, whether you are a mother, have your mother with you, or are remembering your mother.
Becky
Moving day
6 months ago

3 comments:
Happy Mothers Day to you Becky. I know how hard it is around birthdays and holidays. My Dad passed away just 3 weeks after his birthday. Your mother is looking down at you and is proud, I am sure.
Thanks for sharing your story. We are so blessed to have good husbands. I hope you have an extra nice day.
Happy Mother's Day Becky. I hope you had an enjoyable day. I lost my mom in 2003 and it was about 3 years before the pain really went away. I lost my dad when I was 13 so don't really remember but losing my mom was just so surreal. Now I just think of her and it brings a smile to my face. You still miss them but it gets different.
Have a look at this reading on my inspirational stie:
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/pennies.html
Post a Comment