Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Cupboard!

I spent yesterday painting a cupboard that my sister and brother-in-law brought up for me last weekend. This cupboard was in the upstairs hall at my grandparents' house stuffed with books.
It definitely had many uses in its life...one can only guess how many.

My mother told me it came by wagon when the great-grands made a move from a logging camp in Pickens, WV to Pocahontas Co in the early 1900's. The last coat of paint it had was dark brown and had "alligatored" through the years. It looked and felt so scaly it was more than ugly. I inherited it from my mom. My sister and b-i-l still live in my mom's house so she has the task of dispensing Mom's pack rat stuff. Most of it is done, and I helped with a bunch of the tossing part a long time ago. But this transfer required a truck, so it has taken a while for all the stars to line up for it to arrive here.

Last year I went to spend some time with my sister, and while she worked in the day, I went to the basement where this lovely has resided it's last 20 or so years. I took a bazillion layers of paint off and then later she sanded off some stuff that was stubborn so at least it would feel flat.

So when it arrived it looked like this:


I scrubbed it inside and out and let it dry before I attacked it with the paint.
OK, here we go!

The inside completed....

Then came the outside......


Then I let it dry and in the afternoon I played with the top two shelves. I have some stuff in the attic I want to pull out and put in there so this may stay the same or totally change. Who knows!!


I'll probably keep the right hand door pushed up....it hangs over the hall. If you enlarge the picture you can see the top right hand board has been sawed off to make it fit somewhere along the line.....all part of its charm.

From the basement to the living room!
Ta DA!!!!!!

Becky

8 comments:

Hazel said...

I love it and what wonderful history it holds .Great job

Vesuviusmama said...

What a labor of love! It turned out great, but I'm certain I wouldn't have had the stick-to-it-ness to finish that job! Good for you. And I love that it comes with a history!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Oh Becky, I love how your blue an white cupboard turned out..it looks so perfect in your home! you did a great job.. How do your hands feel I bet tired...
Have a sweet day and big hugs~Elizabeth

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Becky, how wonderful to have an old cabinet like that with such a story. It looks great.

Sam said...

WOW!!! That cupboard looks unreal now! So jealous, plus that quilt looks so nice on the shelf against the blue and white!!! xxx

Sarah said...

I love how you took something viewed as old and decrepid and made it like new, preserving the charm. I know someone else who likes do to that with people.

Delighted to meet you today! Hope you don't mind if I splash around for a bit. This looks like a refreshing spot.

happy day,
Sara

Thistle Cove Farm said...

The cabinet is great but your blog wallpaper is fabulous!

Sheila said...

What a treasure!!!