There is a story on msn.com about collectibles that are basically worthless. Flooding the market is primarily the reason and the hype assuring us that we are going to make a truckload of money is the other reason.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/8-completely-worthless-collectibles.aspx?cp-documentid=26131547
I saw first hand example of this when my mother-in-law went Beanie Baby crazy. The woman waited in line, scheduled her days around arrival dates at her local store, and died with well over 100 beanies, maybe closer to 200....not counting all the ones she had given as gifts to everyone. One would do well to get a buck a piece for any of these nowadays....which if I remember correctly would be over $6 apiece lost to the wind. Ugh.
I love collecting things, but have determined that it has to have some meaning to it other than what it might be worth someday. Ultimately, it is only worth as much as you can get someone to pay for it.....which could be next to nothing! I have forced myself to come to the conclusion that just because there are a kabillion Jim Shore collectibles I don't need them all. I have some Heartwood Creek figures....but they are something I enjoy and never plan to "make money" on them.
If you don't have time to read the article at the link above, I'll give you a run-down on the items they have deemed an investment no-no......
- Of course, Beanie Babies, Precious Moments, etc (I have some Beanies....how could I NOT!!! ....Pink Ribbon Bear, Princess Diana Bear, etc.)
-Hummel Figurines (I have one.....a drummer boy that was a gift)
-Franklin Mint/Danbury Mint collectibles (I have Dept. 56 Christmas Village) What surprised me the most was that the article stated that when you walk out of the store with one of these it automatically depreciates 80 %!!!!
-Hess Trucks (I've never heard of this one....but the 60's and early 70's have value....others nada)
-Thomas Kinkade paintings (Their assessment....."they've been QVC'd to death")
-Norman Rockwell plates (Even the Norman Rockwell museum was found to be selling plates valued at $39 for $19....there's that depreciation thing again!)
-Lladro figurines (50% depreciation....over supply again)
-Cabbage Patch Kids (Never did like those things!!)
No particular reason for this post other than I have been guilty of this 25 years ago and am thankful that my criteria for purchasing a tchotchke no longer includes hopes for future return!!
Happy collecting!!
Hugs, Becky
Moving day
6 months ago

5 comments:
the joke around my house is that if there is more then two of any one thing it is an accident not a collection.
I like to group things and if you set more then two together someone will see it and give you more.
"My rooster collection" is 90% gifts from my mom over 15 yrs b/c she "knows' I love roosters (not- I just love her so I display 'her collection' at my house)
For me a collection needs to be something that you enjoy not a return on an investment. (I still have my cabbage patch dolls- the grand kids play with them)
Thanks for this article; interesting! I've never purchased any of the things the article mentioned. Or, at least those you mentioned.
I don't "collect" but I do buy things I can use and if those are "collectibles", so be it. One of these days someone is going to scream with glee over my "stuff". All of it is vintage -smile-.
I'm surprised to see Hummels on the list.
I've never been much of a collector. I mean, I've got all kinds of crap, but never with any intention of any of it being any kind of investment. And most of it in book form. ;-D
I have quite a few collections, Jim Shore, Cat's Meow houses, Department 56 Christmas Village, Disney stuff, etc., but I only buy what I want & like, and have no desire to sell or part with any of them. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, thinks everything she owns is worth money, LOL!
I've never really been a collector. I used to like to collect unusual salt and pepper shakers but not expensive ones, just interesting ones to look at purely for interest's sake. I remember the beanie baby craze. I once had to drive 50 miles to get a bunch from a friend who lived in the US. She'd bought to many and couldn't get them through the border. So I had to go pick them up and mail them to her. She had to buy 5 regular ones to get one special one so her truck was so packed with them it was bulging!
Post a Comment