I spent the weekend at my sister's house (my mother's) and we emptied out the two storage areas under the eaves. O boy, what a day. Dust and much coughing and sneezing were a constant. But we got it all hauled out.....and bagged up most of the junk for garbage day. I did find some material for my stash (hope it doesn't have dry rot), some family info I need to slot into my genealogy work, and some keepsakes I will enjoy.
I also brought home the "hodgepodge blocks" that my mother started sewing back in the early 50's I bet. 
I know most if not all were pieced on a treadle machine. Then things get wonky. She and my sister zigzagged (modern machine) the plates onto backing fabric......in a manner I wouldn't have done.....but that's how it is. At some point in all these years, my mother decided that this quilt was for my brother. So of course she died leaving it a UFO. I told my brother I would finish it for him, so I had to get some fabric for sashes, border and backing. That all falls in line with me not buying fabric to start a project, doesn't it??!! I think so. So I stopped at Joann's on the way home and found the backing, and this morning I ordered the rest.
What is wrong with me......as if I don't have enough UFO's of my own, I take on one of someone else's!!!!! But that's OK, it feels like the right thing to do. I will show you when I am done.
Becky
Moving day
8 months ago

3 comments:
I am sure what you do to the blocks will enhance the beauty, and your brother will cherish it. thanks for sharing.
Hi Becky, so pretty, I have some of them from a friends mother. Her Mom passed away first, and she got all her mom's UFO's then when my friend's cancer turned terminal she then passed them on to me. So I have lots to finish up. Did you get your mitton yet? Just wondering it seems you should have it by now. We've had lots of snow down here so maybe my PO is dragging their feet with it.
Bless You, SHirl
Shirls Rose Cottage
Hi Becky,
I remember seeing this quilt pattern in a few books I really like it!.The quilt will be extra special for your brother since your stitching will be on it too. It will be lovely when you are done. I can't wait to see it.
Have a great day,
Elizabeth
Post a Comment