
Summertime has crept up on me and I have some mixed feelings. I have always looked forward to 3 day weekends as times to have a bunch of people around, lots of laughing and eating and just lots of fun. It's strange, but over the last few years, things have slowed down....just short of coming to a flying whoa.
It is rare to non-existant to do much of anything. There is a festival in my home town that we haven't been to in umpteen years and there's really not anything pressing there for me to see. My sister is there and she is VERY important, but she is busy this weekend remodeling a bathroom and really "not open for business". That's ok, because Rick is busy Saturday afternoon and evening and that just about takes care of the festival!
My immediate family, kids and grandkids, are likely to be here all together maybe once a year....they try to celebrate their dad's birthday the week before Christmas.
Somehow, the "family all together" syndrome that I grew up with has become passe, and I must admit that I am having a little trouble with it all. And it seems like this Memorial Day weekend is really kicking me in the butt. But, in the grand scheme of things it is small potatoes and I will survive. I was at the grocery store and saw folks loading up their carts with picnic foods and supplies, so I guess there are still some families that are expecting to see someone over the long weekend! I just need to put on my big girl panties and deal. Ya know??
I've been telling a couple of my friends that are going through some rough patches that at the first sign of feeling down they are to immediately start listing their blessings. As they tic off all of the countless ones we all have, the calamity tends to lessen. This is a classic example of "Physician, heal thyself". So I am going now to look in the mirror and speak those words of encouragement to myself and pull out the panty drawer....time for a change.
Moving day
8 months ago

2 comments:
I hear you. I work at a college, and during the summer, the kids all go off and do different and fun things while I sit here working the same job I worked all year long. It always gets me disgruntled, but then I realize, when they are gone, there's parking a'plenty!
At lunch today, we were all talking about our plans for the holiday. Only one person is doing anything. I think it's a sign of how exhausted so many of us are. One day holidays have become a time to de-stress rather than a time to get together. Thank goodness there are still holidays that are more than a day long, like Christmas and Tgiving. Nice that your kids all come for the husband's b-day. Who comes for yours??? Lane
Post a Comment