Thursday, May 27, 2010

Modern technology.....

I love the toys and gadgets that I have accumulated the last 5 or 6 years at the urging of my techno-geek son Chris (and that is a compliment, not a complaint). He keeps me at the forefront of everything that makes me a cool old woman.

He insisted I replaced my non-functional computer with a Mac. He was right....I love it. But I also got a Dell to run EQ on....I would have had to get some extra stuff to get it to run on the Mac, but I just wanted a "quilt only" computer. He doesn't understand that....besides, I got me a purple one, 'nuff said.


I researched the Kindle because I love to read, and again, on Chris' advice, I waited until the second generation came out and got me one of those. I love, Love LOVE it. Whenever I would travel I would have to take a second large tote bag, very heavy, with 6 or 7 books if I was to be gone a week. Now I just take my Kindle, and the last time I looked I had about 60 books on there to read.

I also love music and I got Rick an Ipod for Christmas a couple of years ago. Of course I loved it so I got myself one of those too. Chris just showed me how to download some apps for it and I have driven myself goofy playing Bejeweled and Skee-ball. Love it.

NOW....that is all background information. The true story here is.....
1) IF a person is to own these gadgets, he/she must be able to learn to use them

and

2) once said person learns how to use them, he/she (in this case SHE) must have enough sense to keep track of the gadget and all the cords that go with said gadget.

Herein lies my troubles...... I take all three of these with me when I travel. The last trip I made to Arkansas with Rick, I somehow (and I truly have no idea how it happened) lost a piece off the power cord for my Mac. I didn't realize it until we were at the next hotel and of course no one had seen it at the last one. That cost $30 dollars to replace.

Last week when I went to Chris' house to help Nancy paint the shutters, my toys traveled again.
That turned out to be a nightmare!! Not the visit....just the gadgets. --I came home without the power cord to the Mac. Chris brought it to me today when he brought the girls. I have been using that "quilt only" for everything but since then.
--I couldn't find the power cord for the Kindle. The battery was running down and I went to my little pouch that I carry all the cords in (I was so proud of myself for being so organized---blech) and the Kindle one wasn't there. I hadn't used it at Chris' so I was wondering where in the world that was! After looking everywhere that seemed a candidate for a cord to hide....I already scoped out how much this one was going to cost me ...$20.....BUT, thank. you. Lord. It was between my clothes in my suitcase. How it managed to slither into there I don't know.

--And, last but not least, I can't find my Ipod anywhere!! While I was looking for the cord, I was hoping it would appear, but I have run out of places for it to be. I guess I'll have to start looking in the places that I wouldn't think it would hide.......refrigerator, linen closet, dish cabinet, etc.

It is during these times, I am afraid that I need to pull up a rocker and just knit. Now where are those #$%&*@#$ knitting needles?????!!!!!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Becky, This week I misplaced an important piece of mail. I looked all through my paperwork. Scott gave me one of those "I told you..." This morning I found the envelope attached to the side of the refrigerator. I put the envelope there so it would not get lost. Kinda like when I put my shoes in the closet where they belong then look in the bathroom, under the table, etc. (my normal place to discard my shoes). Scott wasn't too sharp a pin either. He makes toast and tea standing next to that side of the refrigerator. I guess he's not to oriented too person or place before his caffeine.

Hazel said...

You remind me of my grown kids at least one of them loose there black berry at least once a month .LOL

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

You would think with all this technology they could put a self winding cord on these things like on some vacuum cleaners. I did see in Target the other day they have a wireless charger for the ipod. Don't know anything about but it sounds smart. Just so they make one to charge anything that would eliminate your cord problem.

Lane said...

Soon as you stop looking, it will turn up. Unfortunately, you probably won't stop looking until you've replaced it. Lane

Misty said...

I know exactly what you mean! However, I have an excuse...even if it isn't their fault...my children must have gotten hold of it!

Quiltluver said...

And then there's the camera cord, the cell phone cord, etc. My hubby bought me a portable charger that I keep in my car. It has a little case and multiple size plugs for the various devices. It has saved me more than once when I forgot to charge up the cell phone before I left the house. The other tip I have is to buy or borrow a labeler device and label everything. I did this for all of my sewing supplies (and sewing machine cord) in case I forget them in class. BTW, I love my Ipod and Sony Book reader too, and totally understand wanting a computer just for quilting.

Alise said...

@Misty -- Totally! The children are always to blame!

Every now and again I think I'd like a Kindle (or some other reader), but there is just something about the smell and weight of a book that just makes me happy. I like to see my progress with my bookmark. I think if I traveled more, I would probably make the investment.