Sunday, October 11, 2009

Leaf Peeping......


click to enlarge.....


Rick and I set out this morning to see some fall leaves. The weather was bright and sunny, although a little foggy in spots when we started at 9:00 a.m. We went to the eastern part of West Virginia to a spot known as The Dolly Sods Wilderness Area.
This is a very interesting spot with an interesting history. Check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Sods_Wilderness

Dolly Sods is one of my favorite spots in West Virginia, especially in the fall. The whole trip to and from is just gorgeous.

I'll just post a few highlight pictures, and if you are interested in seeing the rest you can check them out at

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/quiltingmeme/leaf%20peeping%202009/




This picture above is known as "The Saddle". History states that Nancy Hanks Lincoln was born in the area.



The view from the top of the plateau.
I have no clue how many miles are
visible from this location....but it
seems like forever!














The dirt road up and through the Sods.










This looked like God made a quilt
and laid it out over this hill. The
bright red is wild blueberries.








OK, I have finished today's West Virginia
History lesson. I'll bid you goodbye!






Blessings,
Becky

8 comments:

Quiltluver said...

My husband and I did the same thing today. The weather was sunny and beautiful (but a bit cold). I just love this time of year.

Jay said...

Great sites to see and great photos to let us see too... Molly and I won't be going out much for a while... SNOWING!

Thanks for sharing

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Very pretty. I miss the beauty of the east coast, especially in the fall. Things are sort of drab here. Not much color from an oak or cottonwood tree. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Becky,
Beautiful country, God was busy!.
What a lovely day you had.
Your quilt is amazing, you are just so talented and always create the most charming quilts. The love and time you put into one blanket is truly wonderful.
Enjoy your day,
Elizabeth

Shirley said...

Beautiful photos Becki! You lived in a beautiful area. I agree, the West Coast can't even begin to compare with the East for Fall colours.

Vesuviusmama said...

I was driving around West Virginia last week just loving the scenery. West Virginia, and Western Virginia where I live, is some of the most beautiful land there is, in my opinion.

Charmingdesigns said...

I enjoyed your blog

prashant said...

I just love this time of year.

Work from home India