Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas past

While wrapping presents I began to think about Christmases when I was a little girl. They were almost all spent at a grandparents' house and it wouldn't be unusual to be snowed-in up at the Smith farm up at Mt. Airy in Pocahontas Co., WV (which is close to Snowshoe). I was always delighted beyond words when the electricity went off and the oil lamps came out. We were as warm as usual because the house was heated with Warm Morning and King-O-Heat woodstoves in a couple of rooms and the wood cook stove was fired up. I wasn't inconvenienced at all! As I have gotten older I have realized that might not have been the case for the adults, but it was great fun.

It was one of these snow event Christmases that I got my favorite Christmas gift. I was 4 and my sister Debbie was about 7 months old. The Smith farm was about 45 miles down one mountain and over another from our house. Well, after we arrived Mom discovered that she had forgotten the formula for Debbie back at our house. Nothing to do but my dad and my uncle (whom I affectionately dubbed Tubby) headed back out into the snowstorm. I was pretty oblivious to all these details, but have had the story told to me so many times I can almost picture this part.

Hours later, Daddy and Tubby arrived back at the farm. By this time I was in bed because it wouldn't be long until Santa Clause arrived. Ohhhhhhhh, the excitement!!! Just as soon as my dad and Tubby got back, they proceeded to begin putting together my Christmas present.
It was a cardboard "Supermarket". I guess the Tab A's into Slot B's lingered long into the night.
Bless their hearts.

I was thinking about this present when I remembered that someone had sent me a link to
WishbookWeb.com and I wondered........could it......would it.......IT WAS!!! A picture of a cardboard Supermarket from the 1958 Sears Christmas Catalog (the year following mine). I felt like I had found a treasure!
Here is the page......













<<<< Here it is (a bit
blurry). It cost " >.97 and
it was my main present.
I was in heaven...I could
play store.











I had so much fun looking at the toys in this catalog.....now THESE were toys!!! I found a ton that I would ask for today!

Oh well, enough nostalgia......I'm down to one more present to wrap so I am off to get that done. If you get a little time, hit the wishbook site and take a little trip down memory lane.
Becky

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

I am so pleased that I didn't miss this lovely memory of yours. Now I have only experienced one snowy christmas and that in '69 in North Dakota where I was an exchange student. And did it snow! I have never had a cut out supermarket like yours but I (and later my 2 girls) loved playing with cut out paper dolls. Your Bible Study group looks a fun group of ladies. Yes, it is a blessing to WANT to grow spiritually. I do too! Five years ago I lost my husband and after that (although I have been a Christian for many years), I just could not get enough of the Word and am hungry to walk in the Spirit daily hearing Him at all times. Thank you for your visits to my blog. I am also a quilter but there is never enough time to make all the wonderful patterns available! Blessings, dear friend.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

What a precious memory, Becky! I'm so glad you shared it. Felt like I was there with you.

You mentioned your Good morning/Good night pillow slips ~ I have that pattern too and just found the cases to stitch them on. That's one of my hopeful projects for 2009. Bluework is so pretty as well.

Wishing you joys for the New Year,
Lea

Debbie said...

97 cents in 1958? When I was four years old, I lived in a subdivision. Across a busy highway, a little girl lived with a screened in porch and a similar kitchen. I braved crossing the highway and delighted spending the afternoon playing with this little girl. When I went home at dark, my parents were headed to the police station to report me missing!