Well, I can't sleep, and it's no wonder!!!!
Rick is away on a business trip and I didn't go with him this time.....but that is not the reason.
I was in bed reading about 10:00 tonite....no TV.....windows open as always..... when I hear this horrid shrieking!! We live in a subdivision with 2 acre lots, so neighbors are around but not close. We are 10+ miles out of town in the country, lots of woods, pastures and undeveloped land surrounds us. So there is no noise of any kind out here. Well, as I pried myself loose from the ceiling beams, I kept hearing this sound. It is very loud! Coming from probably 15 yards away from the house in the wooded area. For awhile I couldn't tell if it was animal or human. The only thing I could compare it to was a mountain lion I remembered hearing 40 years ago off at a distance....but I thought that seemed highly unlikely. We do have a bear around here, and turkeys, and foxes, and skunks and opossums, and raccoons.......the usual wildlife. The sound kept on fairly steady for about 10 minutes, fading and coming closer, like it was moving.....but no rustling, no twigs breaking,no voices or noises, nothing but this screaming!
I happened to have my computer with me so I started looking up animal sounds....beginning with the mountain lion (so I could start breathing again when I could rule it out). Well, you got it.......the closest sound I could find was the Florida panther scream . I don't know whether West Virginia panthers make a similar sound or some poor southern panther's GPS is all screwed up.
I can't wait till tomorrow to ask some neighbors if they heard it.....and hopefully they can identify it and it will not be a mountain lion!!!!! I honestly think I was the only nut that had my windows open, but if anyone was in bed with the tv off they would have to have heard it!!!!! LOUD, I'm tellin ya!!!
So my adrenaline is running high for the next few hours. Of all times for Rick to be gone. Not that I'm afraid....but I'll wonder if I'm losing my mind if no one else heard it! :) When I was looking out of all my doors, I couldn't see that any other neighbor even turned a light on! What was really weird was that none of the neighborhood dogs barked or anything! No sound but the screaming and the faint ping of my hair curling!
Sweet dreams to all,
Becky
Moving day
6 months ago

6 comments:
Strange Becky. It's amazing how our imaginations run wild like that when we're alone with no one else to say they heard what we heard. Do you think it was a bird maybe? I don't know what you have there but we have Herons here (my autistic son calls them Herrings *LOL*). Something attacked a nest out back one night and the poor mama bird was shrieking loud like that as she flew off. Poor thing, lost her eggs (or babies) to one of the predators. We have coyotes, which it probably was, as well as eagles and all different kinds of hawks.
Hope you can get back to sleep.
I have heard Panthers scream in Arkansas, I swore it was a woman getting tortured.I have been told they dig a hole put their head in it and scream for mating reasons.
I hope you get sleep tonight,Amy
That's exactly what it sounded like, Amy. A woman getting tortured!!!! Good description!
Well that would have scared me for sure! All I heard last night was the rain...and more rain....and more rain! blessings, marlene
Hope you were able to get back to sleep ,that would certainly scare the pants off me .Let us know if you find out what it was .
I'm sorry you had such a scare, Becky. It would give me the creeps too. However, I think I may know what it was, since we had a similar experience around here last summer. I think it might have been a fisher cat that you heard. Here's a website that gives more information:
http://fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-sound-and-audio/
I had no idea what to make of that human-like screaming sound until I spoke to a neighbor who heard it too and she told me what it was.
It hung around for a second night, and then it moved on and we haven't heard it since. Hope you have a better night tonight.
Post a Comment